New iTunes Family Members
So your kids just got a new iDevice and they are ready to start download the games and apps they want.
How do you set it up?
First, make sure you have an iTunes account. If you don’t have one, you will need one to install apps and manage the device. To create an account just go here.
Now you get to chose. There are two ways to set this up.
1 – you can sign into the device and manage it as “yours”. Your child will need to show you everything they are doing and you’ll have to login every time they want to change something.
2 – you can create an account for them as well and add them to your account as a “family member”. This is great for minors, and great for families who want to share content and billing accounts but still maintain control over what their family members are buying.
If you’re going with #2 – you’ll next need to create icloud accounts for your kids (assuming they don’t have email addresses). If they already have an email address, skip creating the iCloud account.
Create an icloud account for your child here.
- On your iPhone, open Settings.
- Scroll down to the iCloud menu select it.
- Choose Set up Family Sharing menu (or Family, if you’ve already set up Family Sharing).
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Create an Apple ID for a child link (it’s a little hard to find, but it is there).
- On the Create Apple ID for a child screen, tap Next.
- If you have a debit card on file in your Apple ID/iTunes account, you’ll need to replace it with a credit card. Apple requires that parents use credit cards to pay for their kids’ purchases.
- Next, enter the birthday of the child for whom you’re creating the Apple ID.
- Apple asks for confirmation that you own the account by entering the number from the back of the credit card you have on file.
- Enter the CVV and tap Next.
- Next, they will ask for the child’s name and email address (which you just created with their iCloud account).
- Then you will setup a password for the child (great time to teach them good password habits)
- Once created – make sure you turn on the “Ask to buy” feature – and I recommend also sharing location (handy for lost devices).
I hope this helps, let me know if you have questions!